[thelist] making the move from php to asp

Jason Handby jason_handby at illustraresearch.com
Fri Apr 16 08:29:14 CDT 2004

> : There are well established standards for naming in the VB world.
>
> There are well established syntactic standards in almost
> every other language in the world.  It involves using
> brackets for arrays. Makes scanning down the page visually
> much easier.  Naming standards be damned.

Basic has used round brackets for both arrays and functions since, like,
forever. It has nothing to do with Microsoft. When they used round
brackets for both in Visual Basic they were adhering to the historical
precedent for that family of languages.

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BASIC

> : Well, this is why Microsoft released ASP.Net more than 2 years
> : ago...
> :
> : I don't understand why anyone would start a new project now
> : utilising Classic ASP
>
> Ah... Perhaps because we don't want to force a honking huge
> runtime download on our end users?  Maybe because .NET has
> only just reached a modicum of maturity?  Maybe because we
> have theological differences with the language?  Maybe
> because we don't like the Forms-Based design that the IDE
> makes so darn condusive?

No runtime is required for users of an ASP.NET website. And even for
.NET Windows applications, you only need to download and install the
.NET runtime once, not for every new app. It's not that different from
having to download and install the Java VM.

I can't imagine going back to classic ASP now. Moving from classic ASP
to ASP.NET has made life much easier for me. I've got much quicker and
better at building complex data-driven websites. My clients care more
about that than about my theological position :-)

Jason

---