[thelist] Writing an Apache Module ..in Java?

Raditha Dissanayake jabber at raditha.com
Fri Apr 16 08:30:51 CDT 2004

Kelly Hallman wrote:

>Apr 15 at 7:42pm, Raditha Dissanayake wrote:
>

>>Kelly Hallman wrote:
>>[long post trimmed off ]
>>
>>Why can't you just use JSP?
>>(Please accept my appologies if i have missed your point)
>>

>Yes, the point was that this is for use on an Apache server that is used
>as a proxy (i.e. ProxyPass). Therefore, the proxied apps do not need to
>use the Java object, nor do they even need to reside on the same box.

It's a simple matter to proxy though a servlet instead of the more
traditional apache mod_proxy. In fact you will find so many java proxy
servers it raises the question whether an apache proxy is needed at all.

>The reason I am interested in a module is because I am not aware of
>another method for setting REMOTE_USER. Any suggestions on doing that
>would also work. Thanks for the replies!

According to my understanding this variable is set only when CHAP
authentication is being used. If you attemtp to set this variable with
out CHAP authentication you are in fact violating the spec.

--
Raditha Dissanayake.