[thelist] Suckerfish Dropdown Menus - How do they work?

Simon Perry thelist at si-designs.co.uk
Fri Apr 16 09:20:55 CDT 2004

david.landy at somerfield.co.uk wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I've been tasked by my project coordinator to design a main menu screen
>consisting of four graphic buttons arranged in a square. The area between
>them will contain the submenu items, which change depending on which button
>is pressed (or hovered over).
>
>I'm considering hacking the Suckerfish menus to do this but my CSS is
>woefully inadequate - can anyone help?
>
>I'd also appreciate if anyone can explain how the Suckerfish stylesheet
>(below) works? I'm OK with basic stylesheet definitions eg a:hover
>{color:red} etc, but things like "ul > li" stump me completely. Does this
>mean an unordered list that contains a list item? Help!

David,

In CSS > is  a child selector[0] so "li > ul" matches any ul that is a
child of an li element. Used in this case to target sub menus enabling
different positioning.

Can you get an example up on the web, even if it doesn't work yet! I am
sure that you will get plenty of help if we have a layout and some code
to work on.

Simon

[0] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/selector.html