[thelist] CF man needs ASP XML help

Chris Hayes chris at londonweb.net
Fri Apr 16 11:01:40 CDT 2004

<story clientForgive="some rambling">
Now I've been tasked with dealing with a simple XML feed in ASP.  I've never
touched ASP before, but I'm quite fluent in JS and some WSH, so it's not
beyond me.  I've been all over MSDN like a hot rash and find it the usual
mixture of JS and VBScript.  Most examples I find on the web are VBScript.
Ho hum.  It's not rocket science (which was part of my degree ;)
</story>

So the help I would like, either the defacto guide for the following or what
should be the simple solution.

Any I have the XML response from the following code:

 Set xml = Server.CreateObject("Msxml2.ServerXMLHTTP.4.0")
 xml.Open "GET", psFeedPage, False, UserName, Password
 xml.Send
 sOutput = xml.responseXML.xml

The response is formed like this:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<docelement>
 <feedoutput>
  <result>
   <error><![CDATA[0]]></error>
   <description><![CDATA[Some data.]]></description>
  </result>
 </feedoutput>
</docelement>

All I want is a value for error, and a value for description.  What I have
googled so far is conflicting and to be honest I don't understand the ASP
errors well.

Should I be using DOMDocument?  When I do I can't figure out how to traverse
and pick out values.