[thelist] Text Editor (IDE)

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 14 21:36:50 CDT 2004

I guess you use windows and wouldn't be interested in Mac programs, but
someone else asked about it, so I'll say what I use. I use BBEdit on
the Mac. Nice things I like are that it recognized php syntax as soon
as I installed php and started writing it. It recognizes all kinds of
syntax, but I'm not sure why. I've never looked it up. The best thing
about it is the grep search capabilities. Lots of editors I've used on
Windows have that, but they are stuck in the Windows UI universe and
force me to attempt to write regular expressions in 10pt arial font in
tiny little text boxes. I go blind trying to do that. It's impossible.
The text in my BBEdit is 14pt Andale Mono so I can actually read what I
write.

On Windows I use TextPad sometimes. I don't like it much, but at least
the regular expressions work. I use Homesite usually, but I can't
figure out the regular expression searching, so I resort to TextPad for
that. Nice thing about TextPad is it is free. Another nice thing is
that I can create syntax highlighting by creating a special file and
dropping it into a directory. You can probably do that with other
programs, but I have never looked into it.

Nice thing about Homesite is if I want to do a find and replace I can
highlight the word I want to find, click Ctrl+F and the highlighted
text is already inserted in the field. And I like the ability to create
snippets, and to share those snippet files with other people working on
the same files.

I guess I do a lot of find and replace.

On Wednesday, April 14, 2004, at 04:03 AM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> Subject: [thelist] Text Editor (IDE)
> <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
>

>     What's your text editor of choice?
>     What special features has it got and what programming and markup
> languages does it support?
>

>     I've used, amongst others, Dreamweaver, UltraEdit, plain old
> notepad
> and VIM [all mainly for (X)HTML, CSS and JavaScript]. However I can't
> say I'm fully satisfied with any of the above.
>
>     I've tried other solutions for ASP and PHP and found great
> features on
> it I'd like to see on other IDEs. One of the features I'd like to have
> is the possibility to group a specific block of code/markup and expand
> and collapse it. Anyone?
>

>     AD
***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown