[thelist] The War on Sp*m

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 14 21:50:25 CDT 2004

I thought it was just me getting so much spam lately.

I get tons of spam on a brand new email account. I even set this
account to reject any mail unless it comes to my exact account (no
emails to admin or postmaster or whatever). I easily get 500 spams a
day and I'm nobody special as far as email is concerned. The only valid
email I get is from this list and a handful of other people.

I, too, have wondered how on earth they make any money sending all
these emails selling all these pain killers and various part
enhancements. Does anybody really buy stuff from unsolicited emails?
Don't they worry about identity theft from such obviously low-life
businesses? Or maybe since they can send a million emails for next to
nothing all it takes is one buyer to provide a credit card number to
make it all worthwhile.

I heard somewhere that 40% of businesses were considering cutting email
off altogether because of spam. I, too, have been considering the same
thing on a personal level. Email is hardly worth it anymore. It's a
conduit for viruses, it's a waste of time, and it offends me sometimes.

On Wednesday, April 14, 2004, at 02:46 PM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> Quoth Jennifer Johnson,
>
>> Has anyone else seen a huge increase in the amount of spam in the last
>> couple weeks?
***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown