[thelist] payment gateways UK

Richard Davey rich at launchcode.co.uk
Mon Apr 19 06:37:32 CDT 2004

Hello Christopher,

CJ> We have a client site that sells sound effects and music loops online.
CJ> They are launching in a month and would like to use credit card
CJ> processing through OSCommerce. Can anyone recommend a non-escrow based
CJ> payment gateway for the UK that supports multi-currency and applies fair
CJ> commission rates?

CJ> We are going through the process of putting up the Pro's and con's of
CJ> the usual suspects (world pay, cc'pay etc.) but would appreciate any
CJ> relevent personal experiences.

We use WorldPay and PayPal, allowing the user to select which at the
payment stage.

The PHP integration required for both is pretty easy to handle.
WorldPay are very versatile, have a pretty good rate and support
multi-currencies, etc.

Their web site admin area is very, well.. poorly designed to be
honest, although it does everything you will ever need it to do. They
are also quite prone to "problems", for example just an hour ago I
couldn't process a refund because of "system difficulties". On the
whole though, they do work well, and their fraud protection system is
VERY good (far better than most others).

PayPal - well, what needs saying you don't already know? The one
annoying element we've never been able to work around is that clients
can opt to not include their postal address, but maybe a more recent
version of their API can force this. Their "chargeback" policy isn't
very seller friendly either - for your type of shop (i.e. downloads)
you will be guilty until proven innocent should someone claim a full
refund - and with no postal proof in existence, you'll always end up
paying them back. Most annoying.

The only other UK gateway worth mention is Secure Trading, but having
never used their system with PHP (and their web site is terribly
lacking in information) you would be well advised to throw significant
technical questions at them first.

--
Best regards,
 Richard Davey