[thelist] Local Director checking web server, not application server

Tony Brandner tony at serebra.com
Mon Apr 19 13:28:00 CDT 2004

Long time lurker, thought I would post a question.

We're currently running CFMX 6.1 on RedHat Linux 7.3 and Apache 2.0, and
we're working through some memory issues we're having with CFMX. CFMX isn't
really related to my question though.

We cluster our servers using a Cisco Local Director. The Local Director
checks the httpd service on each of the servers to determine whether or not
the server is available. If the web server does not respond correctly, the
Local Director forwards traffic to a different server. Pretty standard
stuff.

The problem we have is that when CFMX crashes, the web server is still
running. When the Local Director checks to see if the server is responding
OK, it receives a positive from the server and continues to direct traffic
to the server. Visitors to this server receive errors.

Other than working through our CFMX related issues (which we will), has
anyone else dealt with this sort of issue? Is there a way to tie Apache to
another application? Is there a way to make Apache dependant on an
application server?

Or, does anyone here know of changes that can be made to a Local Director?

Tony Brandner
Senior Developer
Serebra Learning Corporation
http://www.serebra.com