[thelist] blocking ads with HOSTS

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 21 10:25:38 CDT 2004

I use my HOSTS file to block lots of ads, and it works somewhat well.
One thing I notice is that it doesn't block ads from rd.yahoo.com
apparently. It seems the images come from us.a1.yimg.com. Trying to
block both of those with

127.0.0.1  us.a1.yimg.com
127.0.0.1  rd.yahoo.com

Doesn't seem to work much. Is it just one of those things you can't
block? The HOSTS file hand in hand with the FireFox Flash blocker is
a nice way to browse, and I'm happy with it - just wondering if I can
extend my banner blocking abilities somehow.

Cheers

Tom

=====
http://www.Pixelmech.com/ - read my latest blog posting!
http://www.thywordistruth.net/ - Eternal Life

There is no missing link, just a fist shaken toward God.