[thelist] reselling

Norman Bunn norman.bunn at craftedsolutions.com
Mon Apr 26 07:11:18 CDT 2004

Kasimir K wrote:

>> I am currently thinking about setting up a reselling account so I can
>> provide hosting services to my clients, as well as host all my sites
>> in one place.
>>
>> For those designers currently doing this: is it more trouble than it's
>> worth? is it any trouble?
>

> One point that I'd like to emphasize: consider your resources.
>
> If you have technical abilities, and enough time to administer your own
> server, then going for a dedicated server could be very good idea. As
> others have said, it provides a nice little stream of income. But if you
> don't have those resources (skills and time), then hosting your clients
> on your own box is a nightmare.
>
> The other option is to resell your service providers hosting packages -
> this saves you a lot of tech headache, but I personally haven't gone
> this route, as I want to keep my finances as simple as possible: instead
> of making many small invoices every month I want to make only a few big
> invoices a couple times a year. This way I can concentrate best on what
> I do best. Of course if you have a good accountant this wont be a problem.
>
> My choice is just to ask my clients to make a contract with the service
> provider I use, and usually they do. This way most of my sites are in
> one familiar place, and as I have good communication with my service
> provider, any problems are sorted out quickly. I may loose a bit of
> monthly income, but gain peace of mind.
>
> .k

I get around the problem of monthly invoices by providing a nice
discount for annual hosting ($25 a month or $250 a year - like getting
two months free).  Have yet to have anyone choose monthly hosting...
well, I did have one, but after one month, he converted to annual.

Norman
---

Norman W. Bunn
norman.bunn at craftedsolutions.com
803.405.1008
www.CraftedSolutions.com
Crafted Solutions, Inc.
Web Design & Development
Web Site Hosting & Custom Solutions
"Get the results the Internet promises;
  get the 'Net Result' from Crafted Solutions!"