[thelist] including a querystring in a robots.txt file

Sarah Sweeney mr.sanders at designshift.com
Mon Apr 26 08:04:52 CDT 2004

> Is the querystring causing an error in your CF page? Why change the CF page
> so that people hacking around with your querystrings don't cause errors (or
> more correctly - the errors are handled gracefully). That way you don't get
> information leakage out of your app.

Actually, the errors are handled gracefully, with the automated email
being sent to me being part of this handling. The site in question does
handle most problems in the querystring gracefully, but can't account
for every possible problem. Also, the server hosts multiple sites, some
of which are not under my control, so I can't make every site handle
such problems, unfortunately. My main concern is to make sure that pages
which are throwing an error don't end up in the search results on
Google, Yahoo, etc.

After giving it some thought, I've decided that adding this line to the
custom error page may help, so I'm going to try it out:

Sarah