[thelist] [OT?] Apple Questions

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 28 09:11:08 CDT 2004

On Wednesday, April 28, 2004, at 01:44 AM,
thelist-request at lists.evolt.org wrote:

> Not a regular Mac user myself, but I've got an impression that
> anything Adobe just loves Macs, where as anything Macromedia is
> veeeery sluggish (and unreliable even) on a Mac. (This might not be
> the case anymore, Mac users, any views on this?)

I can't give you much feedback on Adobe products because I don't use
them, but yes, I have found Macromedia products to be sluggish. Lots of
threads on this subject on web sites like Flashkit where people lament
Macromedia's lack of attention paid to Macs.

>> xserve for as my local server. ...  mainly as storage, but would also
>> be
>> functioning as a test lab for my web development (scripting) projects.

I am not an expert on this subject, but I can't see why you would need
to spend the money for this. The Mac comes with a complete environment
for web development (and other development) and is perfect for testing
things out right from the box. Even on my tiny 12 inch ibook with
500mhz and 640kb RAM I've got tomcat, apache, php, mysql, perl, java,
cvs, etc etc and development tools for writing programs in a multitude
of languages, including writing native Mac apps.

Make sure you get the airport card when you buy the Mac. If the
university she goes to is wireless this will be a dream. I can sit out
on my deck in the sun and surf the net.

***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown