[thelist] PHP fopen https

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Wed Apr 28 10:12:11 CDT 2004

I'm doing some work in PHP (v 4.3.4), which I haven't done much of in
years. I'm running into a problem with the fopen() function. I'm using it thus:

$handle =
fopen("https://username:passwd@my.server.com/file.php?parameter=fred", "r");

And I'm getting:

Warning: fopen(https://...@my.server.com/file.php?parameter=fred): failed
to open stream: No such file or directory in
/path/to/script/directory/script.php on line 8

As I understand it, fopen() should see the "https://" and do the http
request. My hypotheses:

1) I've a glaring error in the code there.
2) OpenSSL support has not been compiled in.

I'm testing hypothesis 1 by asking you folk. What should I be looking for
in the configure command returned by phpinfo() (or indeed, any other
method)to test hypothesis 2?

Cheers,
Drew.