[thelist] ms access website solution?

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Fri Apr 30 07:44:56 CDT 2004

From: <david.landy at somerfield.co.uk>
Subject: RE: [thelist] ms access website solution?

<rant>
And of course, MySQL wasn't hobbled by Microsoft as a web
db in later MDAC releases which arbitrarily limit the number of
active connections to an Access db for no good reason that
I can see, and also prevent changes to data in Access 97 db's,
also seemingly for no good reason!! To me, it seems like both
of these moves were designed to "encourage" web designers
into buying MS-SQL Server, and/or upgrade to Access 2000+.
But maybe I'm being too suspicious?
</rant>

Well, I've been dubbed the list "Microsoftie" (though I'm pretty sure I
never cast aspersions on anyone else's products), so I'll have to pull you
up here.

What the f*@hjsd are you talking about?!? [1]

Cheers
Ken

[1] Some things to consider. Access is just a frontend. The DB engine itself
can either be Jet (.mdb files) or MSDE (.adp files). So, Access97 -vs-
Access2000 is just a debate about frontends. You don't need Access to create
an .mdb file - you just need the Jet OLEDB Provider, or Jet ODBC Driver, so
there's no real reason you needed to upgrade. All access through the Jet
OLEDB or Jet ODBC driver is *serialised* for all users, so there's no
"limit" on connections (you still have a maximum of 256 connections to a Jet
database), but all processing is serialised - Jet OLEDB/ODBC provider/driver
does not support concurrent transactions and that didn't change between Jet
v3 and Jet v4