[thelist] BUG: Broken Value Attribute for BUTTON Element in IE5+

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Sun May 2 16:03:02 CDT 2004

Graham Leggett wrote:

> If a <BUTTON> tag is used, it operates correctly according to HTML
> v4.01. If two or more <BUTTON> tags are used, and these are given the
> same name (for example <BUTTON name="method" value="submit">Submit
> Order</BUTTON> then <BUTTON name="method" value="cancel">Cancel
> Order</BUTTON>) then suddenly the following happens:
>
> - The button submits _both_ buttons when either is pressed, behaving
> like type="button" instead of type="submit", which is the default in
> HTML v4.01. Specifically setting type="submit" in button tag makes no
> difference.

Just checked this further - I was incorrect when I said this only
happens when the buttons have the same name - it happens regardless of
whether all buttons have different names.

In other words, the BUTTON tag in IE behaves like a "<BUTTON
type="button">" tag, instead of "<BUTTON type="submit">" as is
explicitely specified in my case.

Is there a way to convince IE to _not_ submit all button tags on the
page when only one button is pressed?

Regards,
Graham