[thelist] Outlook feature that can bite back

Richard Harb rharb at earthling.net
Thu May 6 11:36:34 CDT 2004

While I also do _not_ like that feature I know plenty of people who
use the Outlook client, or more precicely their Exchange Server
mailbox, as some sort of Document management system - without the
document management system features of course.

Meaning they usually open a received attachment and edit it right away
(MS office documents, as other applications usually aren't aware that
the original is supposed to get stuffed back), saving the result into
the email they received - and sometimes they even forward/redirect
that email.

>From that point of view it's really comfortable: open, edit, forward -
but a nightmare if the main storage for documents is supposed to be on
some folder in the filesystem with all the other stuff.

It tends to get very messy if the users show no discipline regarding
where to save their sh**.

I guess I'm getting off topic here. Just wanted to point out that
questionable feature though ...

Richard