[thelist] PHP install Apache locally on XP

Kasimir K evolt at kasimir-k.fi
Thu May 6 12:37:31 CDT 2004

Hi Andrew,

> Just one thing left MySQL does seem to be a bit jumpy but it probably
> needs to settle into its new home, the problem is
>
> Your configuration file contains settings (root with no password) that
> correspond to the default MySQL privileged account. Your MySQL server is
> running with this default, is open to intrusion, and you really should
> fix this security hole.

This is what phpMyAdmin tells you, if you use the db with user 'root'
and with password ''. This is in config.inc.php (lines 83 and 84 in my
version).

If you carefully block any access to your system from outside, then this
is not a problem. But if you don't, then it is a big bad problem... it
means that anyone who cares to lay an eye on your machine, can access
anything you have in your db.

.kasimir