[thelist] mod_rewrite for 404 files

Timothy J. Luoma lists at tntluoma.com
Thu May 6 21:14:43 CDT 2004

On Thu, 6 May 2004 14:01:42 -0700, Mark Groen <mark at markgroen.com> wrote:

>> > are 404 not found (I can't use a proper ErrorDocument in
>> > htaccess, else I would).
>
> oops, I missed that part, never mind, sorry. the mod_rewrite used
> like this turns *every* request into a 404 correct?

that would not be my hope.  My hope would be to maintain normal exit codes
for files which exist, but for pages that do not exist, be able to use a
custom 404.

I have a custom PHP which requires it being used as PHP-CGI not as an
Apache module, and one of the drawbacks to this setup is that ErrorDocs
don't work for PHP files, but my DefaultType is PHP, so you see why this
is a problem.

All that happens currently with a 404 page is a document is returned that
says "No input file specified" which is about as unfriendly as you can get
without reaching out and smacking someone in the face.

TjL