[thelist] website translation

Mike evolt at muinar.com
Mon May 10 13:39:05 CDT 2004

At 10:13 10.05.2004 -0700, you wrote:
>A new project has landed on my desk which entails translating our website
>into multiple languages - mostly English, Spanish, German, French, Italian
>and Portuguese.

Hi Mark

In language-challenged Europe, we always use external translation services
for this kind of work. Bids are sometimes based on a normed line length of
55 chars. You can expect to pay roughly US$ 2.70 for 1 translated line,
depending on language and quality.

Why aren't software translations useful here? Look at this example: I
translated the first paragraph of http://evolt.org/ using Google's translator
into German, and then back, using the same translator. This is the result:

'What is the best tool for developing the net products?  Does it enter, which
helps us, more efficiently and cleanly to cause faster, without costing a
quantity money?  There are it and you for age used.'

This should make it obvious   :)

Mike

_____  mike s. krischker  http://webdesign-schweiz.ch/