[thelist] Was I gotta vent, but now is a question of how to work with non-web people who have to create web content

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Mon May 10 21:33:53 CDT 2004

I have recently transfered to another department at work, and thought
maybe the bad times were behind me. Nope. They're not.

I am working with another person just like a person I worked with
before. Control freak, perfectionist, older than me, and tasked with
creating web content, but without any comprehension of html, css, web
standards and even basic web practices like creating good navigation,
content that fits in a web browser window etc.

This is the same issue that has prevented me from doing any freelance
work. How do you create good web design and then expect non-web people
to be able to "take it from here"?

I would love to be able to collaborate with people who are better
graphic designers or content writers than me, but how do you do that
when they don't understand how web sites work, or how html and css
works, and don't want to turn over control to anybody else? Believe it
or not, there are a heck of a lot of people out there who have to make
web content, who use Dreamweaver, but cannot possibly follow web
standards, or even common web design practices and principles, because
they can't see exactly what the final product looks like in the
Dreamweaver interface.

Any ideas how I can solve this problem? What happens when you create a
web design project using advanced CSS or other web design techniques
and then deliver it to somebody who doesn't understand how it works?

***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown