[thelist] Dumb Question (Javascript) but still causing diffic ulties

Plunkett, Matt MPlunkett at MSA.com
Tue May 11 15:10:36 CDT 2004

 -----Original Message-----
From: 	Tom Dell'Aringa
Sent:	Tuesday, May 11, 2004 3:56 PM
To:	thelist at lists.evolt.org
Subject:	Re: [thelist] Dumb Question (Javascript) but still causing
difficulties

--- Rob Smith <rob.smith at THERMON.com> wrote:
>> I'm having a slightly stubborn problem with a particular checkbox
>> issue:

> Bad design begets stubborn problems - sorry :) Checkboxes by design
            >are to be checked and unchecked. You are trying to code in
behavior
> that a checkbox doesn't have.

This is not necessarily bad design.  It is common to have a list of things
that can be selected or unselected by check boxes.  Sometimes the state of
some of those things cannot be changed, but you still must indicate that
they are "on" or whatever.  Disabling the box, as you suggested, will give
the user the correct GUI clue that the thing is selected but may not be
unselected.