[thelist] Basics of MySQL on Local Server

Cable lparis1 at nc.rr.com
Tue May 11 16:06:55 CDT 2004

Hi all,

With a new box and (decently) fresh install of Win2k, I would like to once
again try to get databases running on my machine - after several failures a
year ago. I currently am running a fresh install of PHP (4.3.6.6, installed
manually), abyss web server (x1) and apache (latest stable). My server only
needs to be accessible to this machine.

I do all of my PHP testing locally and would like the ability to use
databases as well. At this point I would like to follow correct procedures
to make this happen. Should I...

- install MySQL package separately, not relying on built-ins?
- assume phpMyAdmin is recommended over other gui's? (downloaded, not yet
installed)
- assume I already have all I need and learn how to connect to MySQL?

TIA,
divaone