[thelist] RE: Was I gotta vent, but now is a question of how to work

Diane Soini diane at dianesoini.com
Tue May 11 21:43:11 CDT 2004

Sorry my message got posted so many times. I hit the send button and
then saw that my return address was wrong and tried to stop it. It's
strange, but evolt seems to accept 2 of my email addresses.

I honestly accept that the person I am currently quarreling with is a
much better graphic designer than I. I suck at graphic design. It's my
dream to have a graphic designer design everything and me just assemble
it! Just like the previous person I worked with was much better at the
written word than I.

The content the person I speak of is tasked with making what she calls
an "index page", which looks kinda like a brochure with navigation
elements. The index page for this project will not look the same as the
index page for the next project. So, there can't be any handy CMS,
because there is no template. There also is no server because this
stuff has to be able to be played on a laptop. When we're talking about
static HTML without a web site that enforces standards of look and feel
it's really hard to say "no, do it this way instead."

Well, anyway, she's on vacation for the month so I went through and
cleaned stuff up, even though it's not how I would do it. At least all
the pages have the same color scheme and font-size, and all the popup
windows make sense and don't get the user too terribly mad (although
they might still get the user a little bit mad. I know I get mad when
the back button is gone and I want to go back.)

I think it's a losing proposition. I'm going to look for another job. I
don't really want to make static web pages forever. I want to learn
database and web application technologies.

Diane