[thelist] Resend: Comments on Dreamweaver Contribute - was gotta vent

Anthony Baratta anthony at baratta.com
Wed May 12 10:43:44 CDT 2004

At 08:26 AM 5/12/2004, Chris George wrote:

>All of that to ask: Does this tool significantly mess with the HTML?

Since the tool uses the XML DOM that is part of IE 6, of course it has
quirks - but they are manageable. The tool has an XML Config file that
allows you to control many of its behaviours. There is a "tidy" option in
the config file that does a good job of keeping the HTML clean.

The nicest part about the tool is that it reads the style sheet and makes
the styles available via a drop down so you can apply a known style to your
text. The editor is very WYSIWYG and the editing is done "in line" via the
browser so you get instant feedback on what it will look like. You can
build new tables and such, or not. Lists are probably the hardest to
manage, but we just train the users to copy and paste a bullet when they
want a new one.

The tool can even allow you to edit the source code for the target area you
are editing.

The biggest challenge in designing a page for this tool is making sure you
don't embed editable areas in editable areas. Each target area must be
distinct. But since most of our clients using this tool have one big boxy
area for content it's not been a big deal, even if we are breaking the edit
areas into several squares.

---
Anthony Baratta
President