[thelist] Scrolling Marquee

James Aylard evolt at pixelwright.com
Thu May 13 13:01:17 CDT 2004

Maximillian Schwanekamp wrote:

> If you really *must* use -or if your client insists on using- a
> scrolling ticker, and you have Dreamweaver, you might check out
> ProjectSeven's GeeWhiz scroller extension for DW 4-MX-2004.
> JavaScript driven, easy to implement and modify.  Plus it has a
> "stop" button unlike the nasty "marquee" tag. Not free, though.

    The <marquee> element [1] has a start method [2] and a stop method [3].
Aside from its proprietary nature -- which is a legitimate point of
concern -- and the fact that nearly every implementation of the element has
been a bouncing, fuschia- or cyan-tinged monstrosity -- I have seen a few
implementations of <marquee> that were elegant and impressive. Done
properly, within the right environment, the <marquee> element can be an
extremely lightweight replacement for a Java applet (once popular for
scrollers), or a Flash implementation. It likely would also be lighter
weight than a DHTML scroller implementation.
    If one wants to argue that scrollers reduce accessibility, are an
irritating distraction, or appear to our peripheral vision that we're about
to be attacked by a bear, those are other points of discussion. But if one
has decided, or has been directed, to use one, <marquee> _may_ be a
reasonable option to consider.

1.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/objects/marquee.asp
2.