[thelist] programming question

Ken Schaefer ken at adOpenStatic.com
Thu May 13 21:35:19 CDT 2004

Word has VBA built in, so you can automate it. I would suggest that you then
use the MS XML parser tools to build your XML.

However, if you have Word 2003, there is an option to save the document as
XML (and to apply an XSLT tranform). So, you could either do this manually
(open each document up, and resave), or use the VBA automation options to
automatically open each document, and resave.

Cheers
Ken

From: "Diane Soini" <dianesoini at earthlink.net>
Subject: [thelist] programming question

: I'm afraid to ask this, but I need to write some kind of script to read
: a Word doc (I'll require people to save it as text) and transform the
: text to xml. But a web server will not be involved. This will need to
: be done on a Windows network drive. What do I write the script in? It
: should be easy for people to use. Not a command line program, if
: possible. My biggest ignorance is that I don't know much about Windows.
: I usually do UNIX and Mac, and on these I'm just a hack. Can I use
: perl? Should I make a java applet? Or maybe I should just find a web
: server at the company I could use and do it that way? Probably easier
: for me.
:
: Diane
:
: ***
: Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
: Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown
:
: --
: * * Please support the community that supports you.  * *
: http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/
:
: For unsubscribe and other options, including the Tip Harvester
: and archives of thelist go to: http://lists.evolt.org
: Workers of the Web, evolt !
: