[thelist] Help with 'secure' site, pls

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Fri May 14 06:59:17 CDT 2004

Walter,

I don't know how PHP handles this sort of situation, but I did encounter
something similar on IIS using IE to browse.  Maybe the solution will help
you resolve the issue.

As with your situation, the certificate was not issued from a trusted
source.  Since the browser didn't know the intermediate issuing authority,
the browser wasn't able to authenticate the trust back to a known root and I
got a nasty warning every time I opened a page.  The solution was to install
the whole path of certificates on the server using the Certificates plugin
for mmc--In this case two more certificates.  The warning went away because
the server (apparently) was able to give the browser the whole path back to
the trusted root.

Here's a link from InstantSSL explaining this process on Windows/IIS:

http://www.instantssl.com/ssl-certificate-support/cert_installation/ssl-cert
ificate-index.html

And specifically for Apache:

http://www.instantssl.com/ssl-certificate-support/cert_installation/ssl-cert