[thelist] Cold Fusion

Drew Shiel ashiel at sportsinteraction.com
Fri May 14 09:45:09 CDT 2004

At 15:04 14/05/2004, Rob Smith wrote:
>This is just a general post to those of you out there employing a CF
>solution. What do you like about it? Hate about it? Do you think the costs
>justify the benefits? etc.

   I was sceptical at first, but I've come to like it.

   Good points include:

   Clear structure. Since CF uses "tags" that aren't any different to html
in looks, your scripts are much easier to read through. Of course, my
coming from a HTML-not-programming background may have something to do with
much better than, for instance, the "if" structure of PHP. CF's time
functions are notable for clarity of reading, in particular.

   Excellent SQL handling. You can loop through queries very easily, modify
values from them while keeping the variable name, etc.

   Poor points:

   It's not open-source, and this bugs me when I want to do something
slightly unusual, and I have to chase through half a hundred COM and Java
objects, and end up pestering the developers in here to write me custom
tags for this particular purpose. Were it open source, I fancy that many of
these would already exist, and be folded into the main distribution.

   While its error messages are good, the error logs commit the heinous
crime of not always telling you the script the error is coming from.

   Drew.