[thelist] Cold Fusion

Scott Brady evolt at ncsli.org
Fri May 14 10:47:06 CDT 2004

Drew Shiel wrote:

>   It's not open-source, and this bugs me when I want to do something
> slightly unusual, and I have to chase through half a hundred COM and
> Java objects, and end up pestering the developers in here to write me
> custom tags for this particular purpose. Were it open source, I fancy
> that many of these would already exist, and be folded into the main
> distribution.

In a way, it is open-source, by allowing you to write your own tags (as
your developers do), functions, and components. And being able to use
tags, functions, and components (via the Developers' Exchange and
www.cflib.org) others have written.  No, you're not able to change the
underlying source-code, so it's not completely open-source.  And,
requests to the Macromedia Wish List can conceivably get your requested
changes into a  new version.  Not quite the same, I know.

>   While its error messages are good, the error logs commit the heinous
> crime of not always telling you the script the error is coming from.

I found this to be a huge problem with ColdFusion MX 6.0 [particularly
with included files], but the newer version (6.1) seems to have fixed
this problem (at least from what I've found).

Scott