[thelist] programming question

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Fri May 14 15:32:39 CDT 2004

On Friday, May 14, 2004, at 11:01 AM, thelist-request at lists.evolt.org
wrote:

> ActiveState maintain a popular perl for win32 build, that ships with
> lots of goodies for scripting in a win32 environment. You can talk to
> activeX objects, COM etc.
> In their Perl Developers Kit, they have a tool called perlapp that
> will build an executable from your script, including perl and any
> modules or other depenancies... so your end uses just use it as any
> other .exe. - on the command-line, or droplet-style (i.e. the users
> would drag a file on the exe and it would spit out it's output where
> you told it to), or, if you build a GUI, like any other windows
> application.

This sounds promising. I will look it up, especially if saving to XML
from Word like Ken suggested doesn't work. Thank you.

> If the word docs are in Word format, you may need to have your script
> open the file in Word and save it out as text of RTF. The Word format
> is notoriously arcane, and I don't know of any native perl modules
> that really handle it well. From RTF, there are modules to parse,
> extract, do whatever you need to do and output wherever or however you
> need.
>
> This is all very possible, but you have a learning curve ahead of you
> if you've not done this kind of thing before.

Yes, a very steep learning curve for me, but if the suggestion you gave
can be written in perl, rather than VB which I know nothing about, then
I'm part way there.

Thank you, Sam

Diane

> Maybe the web server is the best way though - from the point of view
> of quickly getting a familiar interface in front of your users.
>
> hth,
> Sam
***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown