[thelist] Cold Fusion

Thomas Klepl lists at klepl.com
Fri May 14 19:04:08 CDT 2004

I would agree with just about everything said so far. In addition, CF is
really great for integrating with Flash. It's easy to bring in data from a
database using Flash Remoting (built into CF), which is a binary protocol
and very quick.

As a side note, I recently implemented Flash Remoting with PHP using the
opensource AMFPHP and it was fairly easy to do. I had not written more than
1 or 2 lines of PHP before this, and didn't have much trouble. CF is
definitely more elegant/simpler though...

For example, the array and object syntax make more sense to me in CF (dot
syntax and square brackets vs. -> and => in PHP). I also like being able to
write queries without putting each line in quotes and ending each line with
a dot. Outputting query results is as easy as <cfoutput query="myquery">,
which is so much nicer than a do..while loop.

Also, I find that date and time formatting is more logical in CF... ie. PHP
uses somewhat arbitrary abbreviations such as "j" for day of the month
without leading zeroes. I find myself always having to look at the
documentation to find these codes. In CF it's just "d", or "dd" if you want
leading zeroes, "ddd" for a 3-letter abbreviation of weekday, and "dddd" for
the full weekday.

Components (.cfc files) in coldfusion are really nice too. They are sort of
like classes, in that methods can be private, public, or remote. CFC files
can also be multipurposed as webservices, flash remoting services, or just a
neat way of isolating and organizing your application.

I find the CF documentation to be very clear and easy to understand compared
to PHP's. This saves a lot of time.

Cost wise, if you're doing shared hosting, it may be a little more than some
of the elcheapo PHP hosts out there. If you have your own server and
spending big bucks on colocated hosting, and serious time developing the
app, the cost of CF is rather minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Tom