[thelist] Cold Fusion

Russ russ at unrealisticexpectations.com
Fri May 14 19:48:30 CDT 2004

Let me jump in and say that CFMX was insanely easy to learn; I grew up
in HTML and the tags were all logical to me.  It made it MUCH easier to
jump in and grasp PHP and now even ASP and JSP, but I'm hardly what I'd
consider strong in any of those languages, but "I get it".

I was given a great book:

ColdFusion MX: From Static to Dynamic in 10 Steps by Barry Moore
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0735712964/qid=1084581793
/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/103-7314513-7794221?v=glance&s=books&n=5
07846), and I can say with all certainty that the title is not at all
misleading.  I made myself type in all the examples by hand (felt sorta
like back in the day when you'd buy magazines that'd have 10 pages of
code in it and you'd spend all your after school time typing them in,
only to constantly find either typing/syntax errors or an error in the
magazine, except this worked) and just about everything I needed to
build upon was there.

This year alone I've already cranked out about 20 CFMX sites for
personal and client usage, and it's pretty fluid.  The book I mentioned
also gives you some very basic SQL queries, but it's a good start.

Lastly, I run CFMX on my own RH 7.2 server with MySQL.  There are some
minor differences that I had to account for between Access, which was
just easier for me to grasp from a db perspective, to MySQL, but it
wasn't dramatic.  PHPMyAdmin is a godsend.  The sites all scream, imho.
I'd be more than happy to send you a link to any of them and send along
a very, very simple CFMX / Access blog I did a long time ago when I was
just getting the swing of things.

Oh, Intelligent Converters Access2MySQL is an incredible conversion tool
if, like me, you grasp the Access db format a little bit easier.

HTH,

Russ