[thelist] Cold Fusion

Joshua Olson joshua at waetech.com
Fri May 14 20:29:53 CDT 2004

Rob,

A lot of people have responded, but I do want to add one big negative for
CF.  In a hosted environment it's absolutely yucky.  Things like Custom
Tags, CFC's, etc are all global to all hosted sites.  You cannot allow file
manipulation only within the webroot (they may have fixed this in later
versions, but as of 5.0 this was a big issue).  Calls to COM Object
serialize execution (again, fixed in CFMX I think).  Datasources are
accessible to all sites.. sure you can make it so that each site needs to
use a password to access the datasource, but then you have to pass the
password with each query... again YUCK!

Bottom line, CF shared hosting is a nightmare.  I hope that they will fix
this completely someday soon by allowing site-by-site configurations.

Joshua Olson
Web Application Engineer
WAE Tech Inc.
http://www.waetech.com/service_areas/