[thelist] Resend: Comments on Dreamweaver Contribute - was gotta vent

Burhan Khalid thelist at meidomus.com
Sat May 15 02:56:46 CDT 2004

Ken Moore wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is a resend. Someone wrote:
> "Contribute is macromedia's product for content providers, although when I
> tested it out, I was less than impressed by the learning curve (my
> usergroup
> wouldn't have been motivated enough) "
>

> I am thinking about suggesting Contribute to several nonprofit
> organizations to supply content to their own sites. I would welcome
> comments from anyone who has used it and/or helped not-technical users
> to use it.

I'm also considering this as an option for a client.  Does anyone know
what are the server-end requirements for this product?  I couldn't find
anything decent on the macromedia.com website.  All I found was "its
easy!" "works with anything!".  Our situation is a bit different.

We are working on a website for an embassy.  The webserver will be
hosted at the home country, and there is a CDROM with a custom made FTP
program.  This program has the only key to access the remote server, and
is the only way to upload files to the live site.

My current idea is that we will create mirror image of the website
locally, and have the users update the mirror website via Contribute.
Once the updates are all done, there will be a batch upload of all files
from the mirror server to the live server.

So...can anyone tell me (without all the macromedia hype) what kind of
server end requirements are for this product? Can it work with only FTP
access? Does it need anything special?

Cheers,
Burhan