[thelist] Laying out components in Flash

Marcus Andersson marcus at bristav.se
Tue May 18 16:23:01 CDT 2004

joe wrote:

> You don't give much (any) detail about how you are instantiating any of
> the components you're using, but when you do so you can access it's
> properties as you would any movie clip.  A component with the instance
> name myComp has properties like:
>
> myComp._x
> myComp._y
> myComp._width
> myComp._height
>
> so if you want to position a new instance of myNextComp relative to
> myComp, you can calculate the latter's position and width and place the
> former accordingly.
>
> you may also find some useful info by looking at the Flash Help on the
> localToGlobal and globalToLocal methods too.

What you suggests is what I called absolute positioning and that is not what I want since it requires me to
implement pretty extensive logic to position components relative to each other and inside, and relative to,
parent containers. I want to do something similar as to either flow components horizontal with various
paddings and margins or do the same on the vertical axes and place these components inside a parent container
of some sort (if existant).

I want to do away with the traditional (traditional in Flash and VB anyway) way of placing things with pixels
and tell the containers that you are using "column-layout" or "flow-layout" or "grid-layout" and you are using
5px paddings and here are your components.

I want to know if there is something in Flash that allows me to do this (even if it's just a bit of the way)
or if I have to build it all from scratch.

/Marcus