[thelist] IE 6 CSS Rollover problems

David Kaufman david at gigawatt.com
Wed May 19 03:57:58 CDT 2004

Maximillian Schwanekamp <anaxamaxan at neptunewebworks.com> wrote:
> Diane Soini <dianesoini at earthlink.net> wrote:
> ------------------------
> My question is, I have Windows XP Pro and IE6.0 and when hovering over
> the tabs on this page on the local file system the tab rollover effect
> works just fine. But as soon as I placed the page on the server I see
> strange behavior reminding me of the peekaboo bug but not quite. (I'll
> explain later.) The problem didn't happen for the guy sitting next to
> me, however.
> ------------------------
>
> I don't see the problem in my XP/IE 6.  Maybe a silly question, but
> have you changed your Tools > Internet Options > Temporary Internet
> Files > Settings to "Check for newer versions: * Every visit to the
> page" ??  This is the usual culprit, since developers hate cached
> files we generally set that one to "Every visit."  Lots of discussion
> on this one around the Suckerfish Drop Downs[1], though I am not sure
> if it's the same problem that you're seeing.

you nailed it, Maximillian.  i was seeing the same effect as Diane, until i
set my "check for newer versions" page cache settings back to the default
"Automatically" setting, instead of "on every visit to the page".

now the rollovers look beautiful :-)

-dave, going back in to his options to turn the cache setting back to:
"every time"