[thelist] Help with Heavy Serving Requirements

T. H. Grejc gmane at cis.u7.da.ru
Tue May 25 12:07:08 CDT 2004

Steve Bissonnette wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I would like to know if anyone has suggestions on a VERY GOOD host that can
> handle the following type of site ..
>

> 1-1.5 terabytes of transfer per month
>
> 100-150 million hits per day
>
> 10-20k emails a day
>
> a 250k mailing list and a mail server that can handle it
>
> 24/7 support and very quick (within the hour) turnaround
> and manage serious / constant attacks

wow, what are you running, google? :)

with web site that size I would consider buying my own server and some
high speed internet connection. Then I would hire some Linux geek to
admin that server. That will be lot cheaper.

You can allways try with some hosting gigants like Rackspace, Verio etc.
but I think that 1-1.5 terabytes of transfer per month would cost a
fortune (P.S. I think that transfer is cheapest in west europe. You can
try with some hosting companies in Sweden or Danmark.)