[thelist] Help with Heavy Serving Requirements

Dan McCullough dmccullough at garnethill.com
Tue May 25 12:31:32 CDT 2004

What type of site is this (ecommerce, information, flat html)?
Are you using an app server or specialized server (ColdFusion, J2EE,
Jboss, BroadVision, Websphere)?

There are many many different pieces to look at as far as hosting
environment.

Here are some basics.
Redundancy on all tiers.  Tiers having to do with, web server,
application server, database server, network, power and connectivity.
Otherwise you will have a single point of failure, you could get away
with your web server not being redundant, but then web servers are
usually the least expensive part of the system.

So here are a few things to look at.  Say your system is a typical
ecommerce site.  You'll want to gauge your architecture by looking at
concurrent users, that is at any given time how many
people/users/visitors making simultaneous requests of your system.
Given what you are looking at I would say you going to want multiple
machines, usually on multiple tiers, so your going to want multiple web
servers, multiple database servers, load balanced.  The 250k mailing
list isn't insane, but your going to want to look at pulling that on a
box of its own, and make sure you still stagger the emails.

You are going to want 2-3 Admin, and good ones.

dan