[thelist] Update: Should I buy WS-FTP Pro?

divaone lparis1 at nc.rr.com
Tue May 25 13:48:01 CDT 2004

Thank you all for the FTP Client suggestions. I am now down to three
choices: Smart FTP, Flash FXP, and (re-evaluating) Filezilla. Notice WS-FTP
is not on the list :) Smart FTP, while quite nice, is last in place due to
the GUI and remembrance of local folders (same for TC, with respect to the
interface, and it may be I have not found the option to remember local
folders in Smart). TC is also a bit much for my usage (like HTML-Kit is to
the developer who does only quick 1-page websites).

"Have you tried FlashFXP? I think it can do most of your requests plus what
I like most - you can build a queue that you can save for future use."

I like this feature! Exploring Filezilla for the same option.

"To my dismay, it wouldn't display
filenames that started with a '.', commonly used in site design as
.htaccess files..."

I usually type -al to display these, but it may be a pain for those who
'always' want them displayed. You would think the developers would allow
this as a default option and let us turn it off at will.

Lastly, I will miss the synchronize and schedule features in WS-FTP Pro
(version 8) until I find one of these others allows the same features (or
similar).

Thanks again,
divaone-