[thelist] The One-Week Website

david.landy at somerfield.co.uk david.landy at somerfield.co.uk
Wed May 26 06:19:11 CDT 2004

OK! Thanks for all the answers.

Initially, I didn't want to bore you with the details -- but I can see that
it's actually quite important in terms of design and structure, so here's
the whole scenario.

In January I took over a small Alternative/Mystic shop in Bristol UK. It's
the oldest of its kind in town, founded 34 years ago. Since January my wife
and I have been "mom-and-popping" it, she running it while I graft away at
the programming here at Somerfield. It's now time for an online presence for
the shop, mainly because the property owner is renovating (thank goodness!)
-- and we now have less than a week to vacate.

So, there you have it! We're not a major supermarket chain ;-)

In terms of languages I am proficient at (X)HTML, JavaScript, ASP and JSP, a
little PHP and a very light smattering of PERL, and am confident at learning
anything. Middleware is fine by me -- COM or beans. If there's something
suitable out there pre-built or template-wise that would be very attractive
as (a) it'd be secure and (b) I wouldn't get asked for enhancements or
bug-fixes ;-)))

In terms of stock, we'll be selling standard lines and some one-offs (eg
second-hand books), and tarot-card readings. A booking feature for this
would be nice but by no means essential as it could easily be done on the
phone, and would be mostly local traffic.

Any ideas of how to drive traffic to the site (SEO?) would be appreciated
too, though I'm aware that a lot has been said about that on this forum in
recent weeks and there are links there that I can (and will) follow.

Thanks again for any help.

David

--

If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please preserve the
confidentiality of it and advise the sender immediately of any error in