[thelist] The One-Week Website

Stuart Maynard-Keene stuart.maynard-keene at ntlworld.com
Wed May 26 05:37:03 CDT 2004

Please remember out of the box packages aren't neccesarily secure, always remember to encrypt your credit card number into the database, ideally have the database on a machine on your LAN and obviously buy a secure certificate. I would suggest a Lasso/MySQL or PHP/MySQL combo. If you are making credit card transactions maybe get a merchant account rather than use PayPal/World Pay. IMHO. With regards SEO and Web Standards coding it yourself will be the best route rather than a out of the box solution, if you code to web standards? :P

> From: david.landy at somerfield.co.uk
> Date: 2004/05/26 Wed AM 11:19:11 GMT
> To: thelist at lists.evolt.org
> Subject: RE: [thelist] The One-Week Website
>
> OK! Thanks for all the answers.
>
> Initially, I didn't want to bore you with the details -- but I can see that
> it's actually quite important in terms of design and structure, so here's
> the whole scenario.
>
> In January I took over a small Alternative/Mystic shop in Bristol UK. It's
> the oldest of its kind in town, founded 34 years ago. Since January my wife
> and I have been "mom-and-popping" it, she running it while I graft away at
> the programming here at Somerfield. It's now time for an online presence for
> the shop, mainly because the property owner is renovating (thank goodness!)
> -- and we now have less than a week to vacate.
>
> So, there you have it! We're not a major supermarket chain ;-)
>
> In terms of languages I am proficient at (X)HTML, JavaScript, ASP and JSP, a
> little PHP and a very light smattering of PERL, and am confident at learning
> anything. Middleware is fine by me -- COM or beans. If there's something
> suitable out there pre-built or template-wise that would be very attractive
> as (a) it'd be secure and (b) I wouldn't get asked for enhancements or
> bug-fixes ;-)))
>
> In terms of stock, we'll be selling standard lines and some one-offs (eg
> second-hand books), and tarot-card readings. A booking feature for this
> would be nice but by no means essential as it could easily be done on the
> phone, and would be mostly local traffic.
>
> Any ideas of how to drive traffic to the site (SEO?) would be appreciated
> too, though I'm aware that a lot has been said about that on this forum in
> recent weeks and there are links there that I can (and will) follow.
>
> Thanks again for any help.
>
> David
>

> --
>
> If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, please preserve the
> confidentiality of it and advise the sender immediately of any error in
> transmission. Any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken, or
> omitted to be taken, by an unauthorised recipient in reliance upon the
> contents of this e-mail is prohibited. Somerfield cannot accept liability
> for any damage which you may sustain as a result of software viruses so
> please carry out your own virus checks before opening an attachment. In
> replying to this e-mail you are granting the right for that reply to be
> forwarded to any other individual within the business and also to be read by
> others. Any views expressed by an individual within this message do not
> necessarily reflect the views of Somerfield.  Somerfield reserves the right
> to intercept, monitor and record communications for lawful business
> purposes.
> --
> http://evolt.org/help_support_evolt/

> Workers of the Web, evolt !