[thelist] spidering in ASP (out of my league)

Benjamin C. Varadi bvaradi at nlcnet.org
Wed May 26 10:09:02 CDT 2004

Hi folks,

I know almost no ASP (I've done online petitions & redirects, but
that's it), but am trying to build a bunch of little robots to do my
job for me. The task at hand is as follows- suggestions for existing
scripts, websites, books, etc that may help are greatly appreciated.

Is this difficult?

We have several hundred campaign indices, static files.  I'd like to
add meta tags like this to each of them (and to those that appear in
the future):

<META name="Campaign" content="Maternity Rights For Bangladeshi
Women">
<META name="Section" content="Mary Kate & Ashley Olsen">
<META name="Description" content="Calling on the Olsen twins to support the
women who make clothing for their Wal-Mart clothing line">
<META name="Companies" content="Wal-Mart, Dualstar">
<META name="Year" content="2004">

...and then develop a program in ASP to spider the site & build pages
like this (only more sophisticated):  http://www.nlcnet.org/campaigns/
I figure the program can make decisions about current vs. archive
based on file location- /campaigns or /campaigns/archive.

...and also build campaign indices for companies that show up often in
search queries (Wal-Mart, Kohls, etc)

Thanks,

-BEN

--