[thelist] semantic markup

Diane Soini dianesoini at earthlink.net
Wed May 26 21:06:18 CDT 2004

Every now and then a question about semantic markup comes up and it
makes me wonder about something.

It's all the rage right now to write semantic markup, but for the most
part, semanitic markup was invented to describe prose documents. And
what we are creating is often something more akin to a user interface.
So why then do we have to drive ourselves nuts trying to style, for
example, <li> tags with CSS (probably one of the most difficult
elements to style consistently across browsers) just to make a user
interface navigation bar? (Or the image with the caption problem, for
another example.)

The thing that really bugs me with <li> tags is that for browsers such
as Lynx that do not use the CSS, you get a vertical list of links
rather than the horizontal bar of buttons you really intend--and what
is actually more convenient for the user in my opinion. It's a
horizontal navigation _bar_, not a vertical bullet list!

I sure wish there was some markup to address what these web pages
really are, which is a user interface with, possibly, a prose document
in the middle of it. Guess XML will solve this someday.

Sorry for this post, but it's been bugging me.

<tip type="favicon, but not for Windows">
You can have a favicon without a .ico image. Just use a .png instead.
<link rel="icon" href="/favicon.png" type="image/x-icon" />
Doesn't solve any of the problems of not having a "real" favicon would,
and it won't display on Windows machines, but if you don't care about
any of that, this'll work fine for Mac OSX users whose browsers support
it. Or, you could have one icon for one group and another for the
others.
</tip>

***
Don't be afraid to try something new. An amateur built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic. -unknown