[thelist] semantic markup

Manuel González Noriega manuel at simplelogica.net
Thu May 27 06:46:04 CDT 2004

El jue, 27-05-2004 a las 04:06, Diane Soini escribió:
> Every now and then a question about semantic markup comes up and it
> makes me wonder about something.
>
> It's all the rage right now to write semantic markup, but for the most
> part, semanitic markup was invented to describe prose documents. And
> what we are creating is often something more akin to a user interface.

It's not a secret we are taking HTML well beyond where it was intended
to go. Inprovements in XTHML and the whole XHTML 2.0 thing are
consequences of this. So it's XUL, for example

> The thing that really bugs me with <li> tags is that for browsers such
> as Lynx that do not use the CSS, you get a vertical list of links
> rather than the horizontal bar of buttons you really intend--and what
> is actually more convenient for the user in my opinion. It's a
> horizontal navigation _bar_, not a vertical bullet list!

I don't see it that way. I try to make a list of the available options.
I don't intend it to be rendered horizontal, vertical, diagonal or read
aloud. I may *suggest* an option, but i'm happy and delighted every UA
can ignore my suggestion and do it's own take (except when it's IE and
its screwed up take, of course ;)

Relax and let the UA rule!

(*) I'm not sure if 'diagonal' is an english word for this position

                \

Is 'oblique' better?

--
   Manuel trabaja para Simplelógica, construcción web
(+34) 985 22 12 65            http://simplelogica.net