[thelist] semantic markup

Joel Konkle-Parker jjk3 at msstate.edu
Thu May 27 04:38:23 CDT 2004

Quoting Diane Soini <dianesoini at earthlink.net>:

> It's not so much how I want it to be rendered as it is that <li> is
> supposed to be somehow "more correct" than whatever else, as if all
> lists have to be built as bullet lists. What I mean is, the <ul> or
> <ol> is a type of list, and it's somehow considered properly semantic
> to use them to create user interface controls. That doesn't seem
> semantic to me at all. If anything, the <button> tag seems more proper.

I've discovered this as well, while trying to use ISO HTML. That particular
variety is more strict than the W3C variety, and the effect is that it's only
useful for semantically-marked-up plain documents, not user interfaces.

My take on the whole thing is that my semantic tags are great, for the actual
content. I view the UI as a "frame" around my content, which doesn't need to be
semantically marked. I use <p> in my blog postings, but not in my text column
menu (although I do use <ul> for my menu... that's another story, I guess). I'd
probably use <b> in my menu rather than <em>, too (although I would do it with
CSS).

--
Joel Konkle-Parker
Webmaster  [Ballsome.com]