[thelist] semantic markup

Manuel González Noriega manuel at simplelogica.net
Wed Jun 2 07:24:39 CDT 2004

El mar, 01-06-2004 a las 01:29, Drew Gilmore escribió:
> Guess I might be a little late to the conversation, but I won't let
> that stop me :)

So, after a little break we are on with it again? I love it! :-)

> Thing is, it's not just list elements. I often write educational
> materials for work, and as is often the standard in print, I'll use
> bold to indicate the first appearance of a new vocabulary word. I know
> that <b> is discouraged, but I've never been quite sure whether <em> or
> <strong> would be more appropriate semantically. There are other times
> I've been unsure exactly which <Hn> to use for a particular side bar's
> heading.

As always, i think you should mark the word as what it is (a 'first
appearance'), not as what you want it to look like (bold)

#firstappearance {
  font-weight:bold;
}

And for the which <Hn> issue, it may be up to discussion in some cases,
but that doesn't mean you should be eventually making up your mind and
using one of the <Hn>, does it?

The thing is no one has still showed me a real world case that really
asks for <b>. Besides the 'it's shorter to type' argument, that is  :)

--
   Manuel trabaja para Simplelógica, construcción web
(+34) 985 22 12 65            http://simplelogica.net