[thelist] semantic markup

Tim Beadle tsb at wigner.ioppublishing.com
Wed Jun 2 06:28:01 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 02:24:39PM +0200, Manuel González Noriega wrote:
> As always, i think you should mark the word as what it is (a 'first
> appearance'), not as what you want it to look like (bold)

> #firstappearance {
>   font-weight:bold;
> }

You're assuming there will be only one "first appearance" on any page. I would
use this instead...

.firstappearance {
  font-weight: bold;
}

...if I thought that there was any semantic benefit to using meaningful class
or id names.

But I don't. We have a tag for this scenario - <dfn> - so why not use it?

Tim
--
"I don't need a blogging tool or an aggregator or designer or ashtray or
car stereo built into my web browser. I just need it to display web pages