[thelist] semantic markup

Tim Beadle tsb at wigner.ioppublishing.com
Thu Jun 3 03:30:25 CDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 07:37:11PM +0200, Manuel González Noriega wrote:
> Could someone please provide an example of 'semantic meaning of
> boldness', as opposed to 'semantic meaning of X + visual appearance of
> boldness'? I haven't yet seen one of the first class, many of the
> second.
>
> For example,
>
>  a) <h1>I'm a heading</h1>
>
>  b) <p>I'm a paragraph</p>
>
>  c) <b>I'm a ...</b>
>

> Please, provide an example of c) ;)

Alright, maybe I used the wrong semantics ;)

What I meant was that there is a wide variety of meaning which you might
indicate (in print, or on the web) using bold text. Most of these have a
suitable semantic equivalent element (a heading, use <hx>; strong emphasis,
use <strong> etc.). Some, however, don't.

Tim
--
"That said, it would be kind of fun if a group of angry, pitch fork waving
villagers with over-bites turned up every time a table was used for