[thelist] semantic markup

Manuel González Noriega manuel at simplelogica.net
Thu Jun 3 10:43:07 CDT 2004

El jue, 03-06-2004 a las 16:05, Diane Soini escribió:
> Sorry I started this.

Why is that? I kinda liked the discussion :)

My intention was really to question whether the
> structure of prose documents, which is what most of the semantic markup
> is for, actually fits the concept and structures of user interface
> elements, but oh well.

Mmm no, that's the perceived problem XUL,XAML,FLEX, whatever are trying
to solve

> I am wondering, however, what is there out there that actually only
> reads a web page in its strictest semantic form? And how exactly would
> it stumble over a <b> tag as opposed to an <em> tag. I would like to
> try this thing out and run some tests.

For example, if you reckon your page will be accessed by a screen
reader, then maybe you'll realise there's quite some difference between
that something than simply looks <bold> and something that is <strong>

> Oh, and I think it is sort of strange that in the print world, fonts
> themselves have bold and italic faces, but not strong and emphasis
> faces. On some browsers if you use <b> or <i> you get the actual bold
> or italic version of the font, not just a chunky or slanty version of
> the plain font. In print, that would matter.

In print <bold> and <strong> have a straight correpondence, the look is
the meaning. The web introduces a much subtler and sometimes hard to
grasp 'meaning' layer whis can be molded into very diferent forms. I
find it so enjoyable :)

--
   Manuel trabaja para Simplelógica, construcción web
(+34) 985 22 12 65            http://simplelogica.net