[thelist] CVS/SCM System for Webdevelopment

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Thu Jun 3 14:04:10 CDT 2004

> If you are talking about changing relative paths in every src and href
> attribute, then I would suggest that you just use absolute paths and
> avoid that problem. If you can't, you could write a script (perl?) to
> do it for you and then run it on checkout/update - probably not as
> trivial as it sounds though.

not trivial if you have paths in css, or - worse - built dynamically by
javascript. You can get a lot of the way there though and just log areas
that might need manual attention.

> Subversion does not have a WinCVS equivalent which has been a problem
> for some of my CLI-challenged friends [1].

There's a tortoise client: http://tortoisesvn.tigris.org/
I've only installed and played with it.. but my experience with
tortoiseCVS (for the last year or 2) is that its an enormous improvement
over winCVS.

> I was able to easily rename a directory though. That was kind of nice.
envy. We are promised a migration from CVS to subversion this summer.
I'll watch this thread for any other gotchas people have come across.

Sam